Saturday, February 11, 2017

Every Book is a New Release to a Child: Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss


HarperCollins is relaunched Dr. Seuss's best-selling books, including such perennial favourites as The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham and Fox in Socks.  Other well loved children books are being printed all the time such as Nancy Drew with the original design on the cover, Little House on the Prairie books have become classics, Pat the Bunny is alive and well, Caps for Sale, Frog and Toad, Curious George, Blueberries for Sale...

Thank goodness that so many of children books are still thriving in the publishing world, more so than adult books.  Besides classics, there are only a small percentage of more current releases that will be among buzz books in the future.  

Why?  Kids don't care.  Everything is a new release to them.  They are young and experience a bookshop or library the way that I wish that we all could, wide eyed at the possibility of falling in love with any one of the books on the shelf.

I have thought about this a lot as I have been on this journey with Evelyn, but never more than yesterday when we read Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss.

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

In this hilarious book, the irrepressible Fox in Socks teaches a baffled Mr. Knox some of the slickest, quickest tongue-twisters in town.

One of the Most Precious Reading Experiences I Have Had

Evelyn and I have shared a  lot of good times, but the time that we have spent together reading has been one of my most enjoyable experiences as a grandmother, and reading her Fox in Sox was a moment that I will never forget.

I had forgotten that most of the Dr. Suess books are in the 60 page range, and I didn't know if Evelyn was ready to sit through a book of that length, but it turned out that the sing song rhythm of the writing in Fox in Sox held her complete attention.  The books is all rhythmic tongue twisters and she loved it.  

We read Fox in Sox after lunch, just before bedtime, and while she sat on my lap, listening to every word, looking over every page, near the end she pressed her forehead against the side of my face, gently swayed to the words, and fell peacefully asleep.

It was one of the most precious reading moments I have had the pleasure to experience.  I only wish that I wasn't alone with her so I could have a picture.

We will definitely be reading more Dr. Suess in the future, and I believe that these books are a must buy for adding to her library collection.

Fox in Sox
By Dr. Suess
Source: Library
Originally Published: 1965
Pages: 62


No comments:

Post a Comment